A Comprehensive Guide to the State of the Art - Fully revised Second Edition
Dreamers, owner-builders, natural and sustainable building contractors, modern homesteaders
Cordwood construction - log-ends set in insulated mortar - is a versatile, economical, low-impact, and beautiful building method. And while cordwood construction’s durability and performance has been proven in beautiful, centuries-old buildings in North America and Europe, there has been no trusted, practical and comprehensive book on cordwood construction methods using cordwood in a wide variety of cordwood masonry construction projects.
Distilling decades of experience, best practices, and innovations in cordwood construction, Essential Cordwood Building is the first fully illustrated, step-by-step comprehensive book on cordwood construction. Ideal for the DIYer, professional designer, and builder alike, this comprehensive book on cordwood construction covers:
- Wood species selection, log-end length, and seasoning
- New mortar options such as cement, lime putty, and cob mortar
- Wall cavity insulation options
- Budgeting and estimating for your cordwood construction
- Highly illustrated, step-by-step cordwood masonry construction methods and techniques
- Window and door frame installation
- Painting and chinking, finishing, and plastering your cordwood construction
- Special designs and decorative features
- Code references, code compliance, building science, and best practices for cordwood masonry construction methods
- Troubleshooting and maintenance.
Written by the world's leading sustainable builders, designers, and engineers, these succinct, user-friendly handbooks are indispensable tools for any project where accurate and reliable information is key to success. GET THE ESSENTIALS!
Rob Roy is widely recognized as a world leading authority on cordwood masonry construction methods. Rob has authored and edited 15 books including Cordwood Building and Stoneview . He lives in West Chazy, New York.