Essential Cordwood Building
The Complete Step-by-Step Guide
Cordwood construction - log-ends set in insulated mortar - is a versatile, economical, low-impact, and beautiful building method. Its durability and performance has been proven in beautiful, centuries-old buildings in North America and Europe.
Yet until now, there has been no trusted, practical guide to cordwood construction using the material in a wide variety of construction projects.
Distilling decades of experience and best practices, Essential Cordwood Building is the first fully illustrated, step-by-step guide to cordwood building. Ideal for the DIYer and professional designer and builder alike, it covers:
- Wood species selection, log-end length, and seasoning
- Cement, lime putty, and cob mortar options
- Wall cavity insulation options
- Budgeting and estimating
- Highly illustrated, step-by-step building techniques
- Window and door frame installation
- Pointing and chinking, finishing, and plastering
- Special designs and decorative features
- Code references, compliance, building science, and best practices
- Troubleshooting and maintenance